Fall is the best time of the year for three popular reasons — less crowd, lower prices, and milder weather.
In western countries, children and college students are heading back to school and, at these times, the tourism industry is less busy. In effect, creating what the tourism industry refer to as the shoulder season — that time of the year where there are fewer people traveling and therefore airlines, hotels, and resorts offer the best rates and the highest discounts.
Also during the fall season, people are just taking a break from the excruciating heat and extreme humidity before finally cowering under the mattresses in winter. Fall is arguably the best weather for travel.
But beyond all that, there is one more reason, and definitely the best of all, why fall is the best time to travel — the vivid, firey burst of fall colors. And there is no better way to convey this otherworldly phenomenon but in photos.
10+ photos that explain why fall is the best season to travel
There are more than enough stock photos on the internet to showcase the vivid display of fall colors but, for more realistic feels, I called upon internet friends — real people — who actually experienced the magic of the fall season.
Here are the photos depicting the surreal sights of leaves changing their colors from green to yellow to orange to red and auburn. If these photos are not enough to convince you to travel in fall, I am not sure what will.
- Highway 6, South Island, New Zealand, Fall 2018. Photo by Daniel Caracciolo, Destinationless Travel.
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, Japan, Fall 2016. Photo by Mariza Lange, Hoponworld
- Ginkaku-ji Temple (Silver Pavilion), Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan, Fall 2016. Photo by Mariza Lange.
- Arashiyama, Ukyō-ku, Kyoto, Japan, Fall 2016. Photo by Mariza Lange.
- Nara Deer Park, Nara, Nara Prefecture, Japan, Fall 2016. Photo by Mariza Lange.
- Minnewaska State Park, Hudson Valley, New York State, USA, Fall 2017. Photo by James, Travel Collecting
- Punjab University, Chandigarh (Union Territory), India, Fall 2017. Photo by Supriya Bhardwaj, Traxplorers
- Summit Park, Canton, Michigan. Fall 2017. Photo by Leah Little, Leah Little Travel & Fashion
- Lake in the Sonian Forest, Brussels, Belgium. Fall 2017. Photo by Sophie Lenoir, Everything Brussels
- Vinohrady, Prague, Czech Republic, Autumn 2017. Photo by Punita Malhotra, 100cobbledroads
- Rock City Gardens, Lookout Mountain, Georgia, USA, Fall 2017. Photo by Jillian Michelle, Adventure Dragon
Spring used to be my favorite season, who would not fall in love with a seemingly endless array of beautiful flowers competing against each other. Fall season used to be my least favorite because all I think about it then are just a bunch of dead leaves falling one after another. But when I finally experienced the beauty of this season first hand, I realized how much vibrant the fall colors are in contrast to that of spring.
Albert Camus once said, “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
Are you on Pinterest? You might want to PIN these images to let others know about the beauty of the fall season. Hover on an image or use the social buttons below.